POSITION SUMMARY: Speech Therapy goals are to restore function, to prevent disability following disease or injury and to help the client reach his/her maximum performance within the limits of his/her capabilities. The Speech and Language Pathologist evaluates and treats patients using medically prescribed speech therapy programs.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Makes admission and evaluation visits. Notifies assigned Clinical Team Manager of OASIS scores within established timelines. Notifies appropriate team members of admission and follow up plans.Performs an initial, comprehensive assessment which includes but is not limited to: the patient’s eligibility for home care services in accordance with third party payer regulations An environmental assessment which includes physical, social and mental status, identified needs and potential to reach treatment and discharge goals.
- An accurate reflection of the patient’s current health status, review of all medications the patient is currently using. Documents observations, clinical findings, problems, skilled interventions/treatment, goals and discharge plans.
- In consultation with the assigned Clinical Team Manager, initiates and regularly re-evaluates and revises plan of care.
- On an on-going basis, documents observations, clinical findings, problems, skilled interventions/treatments, goals and discharge plans.
- Assesses the need for the services of other team members (RN, PT, OT, MSW and HHA).
- Provides and documents skilled care, interventions/treatments on all visits (includes skilled observation of the patient’s condition, skilled care, procedures or treatments performed and teaching of the patient and/or family).Utilizes appropriate evaluation tools in evaluating patient’s auditory, visual, verbal/oral, swallow, graphic and cognitive abilities and develops a plan of treatment with achievable goals in accordance with physician orders.
- Considers patient’s own needs and goals, conditions and environment and coordinates with ancillary services when planning treatment goals.
- Plans and utilizes a treatment program to restore or maximize auditory functioning for reception, perception, recognition, discrimination, comprehension and memory, to restore or maximize visual functioning for perception, recognition, comprehension and memory, to restore and maximize verbal abilities for language, articulation, apraxia, dysphagia, dysarthria, and voice disorders, to restore or maximize graphic abilities, to restore or maximize cognitive functioning for communicative purposes based on identified needs and customary clinical practice standards.
- Instructs patient and family in home programs to be continued in the therapist’s absence.
- Makes hospital pre-discharge visits for the purpose of coordination and continuity of care, as requested.
- Coordinates care and documents communication with the assigned Clinical Team Manager(s), physicians and other members of the home care team informing them of significant changes in the patient’s condition and needs.
- Follows established standards for point of service technology, documentation and synchronization.
- Submits weekly visit schedule of assigned patients. Collaborates with Clinical Team Manager(s) to address scheduling needs.
- Performs resumption of care, transfers and discharges as requested by the assigned Clinical Team Manager. Completes and submits all related documentation within established timeframes.
- Graduate from an accredited Speech Pathology curriculum approved by the Council on Medical Education of the American Medical Association.
- California registration as a Speech Pathologist (or eligibility; must take first examination scheduled after appointment) by the California Board of Medical Quality Assurance.
- Minimum of one year’s recent professional Speech Pathology experience.
- Prefer experience in home care and interest in Gerontology.
- Demonstrates willingness and ability to work with electronic input and telecommunication devices.
- Current California driver’s license and automobile insurance with minimum Bodily Injury Liability Insurance coverage per agency policy
- Current CPR certificate
TITLE: Speech and Language Pathologist (ST)
SCHEDULE: Per Diem
SHIFT: As needed